Saturday, February 19, 2011

2.16.11



The worrying part about house construction, renovation, repair and re-modeling is the bit about budget, and therefore, planning is an integral element of house building.

At the beginning of the year, I had a list of things I like to do for the entire year and one of those things that kept constantly coming up is the renovation of the house. It was suggested that I attach a terrace to room where I can lounge at will and when time permits. But to lounge as time permits seems to be a bit challenging – especially because I do not have much of the luxury of time.

So, I decided instead to extend my room. A terrace may be useful at certain times of day depending on mood of course, but an extension of the room is more practical and sensible as I get to use every inch of the new extension day after day.

I signed an MOA to start the renovation last week. Things are shaping up as I write this. I had gone to Home Depot to check on the tiles and the fixtures that will be used to enlarge my bathroom – a new bath tub to be installed! And this is where worrying about the budget comes in.

You see the extension of the room is pegged at a certain amount, and another budget is proposed for the enlargement of the bathroom. I had to differ with the contractor on the cost of the bathroom because it costs almost half the amount for the renovation of the entire room. And since it is going to be weird to have a new room with an old bathroom, I had to think fast.

One cannot start building a house without first calculating how much money he has earmarked for the project – otherwise the construction might grind to a halt. But I am confident that if I buy the materials myself and have them charge the labor, I will manage to save a little bit on the costs.

After the bedroom and the bathroom, the next project is the kitchen and the dining room.

I am excited.


REFLECTIONS
Deuteronomy 1-3


The review starts.
Reviewing one’s life is a good exercise because by it, one gets a glimpse of achievements as well as failures, correct decisions and errors, obedience and rebellion, people pleased and hurt.

The Jews stayed in the desert for 40 years before arriving at the borders of the Promised Land.
The journey took longer than usual.
And for reasons we already know.
But in spite of too much heartache the Lord’s love never wavered.
We never lacked anything, even if we intentionally disobey.

Deuteronomy 3:23-26
At that time I pleaded with the LORD: “O Sovereign LORD, you have begun to show to your servant your greatness and your strong hand. For what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do the deeds and mighty works you do? Let me go over and see the good land beyond the Jordan—that fine hill country and Lebanon.” But because of you the LORD was angry with me and would not listen to me. “That is enough,” the LORD said. “Do not speak to me anymore about this matter."


Why was the Lord too stern with Moses?
What was not being said?
I wonder how many times the Lord has told me, “That is enough!” and I keep on pestering him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home