Saturday, March 12, 2011

2.27.11



A page from the past.
A thank-you letter to people who ministered to me.
Including the one who celebrates his birthday today, Kuya Rollie.


I am taking a few moments to reflect amidst the busyness of my day-by-day routine.

The first thought that comes to mind is kindness. Perhaps, it was warranted by the theme of a Bible Study I conducted a while back: the Shunamite woman’s kindness to Elisha – inviting him to lunch and constructing a fully-furnished upper room for him.

I will not claim to be a man of God Elisha was. I will not even suppose I come close. But with all humility and sense of wonder, I am grateful at the chance I was afforded to be of service in God’s vast vineyard.

I am grateful too for the insuperable amount of kindness I receive from people touched by God to be supportive of me. Kuya Ed Manalo. Kuya Jun Manalang. Kuya Harry Tria. Kuya Rollie Reyes. Kuya Rene Perlas. You never fail to remember me whenever you come home for a brief holiday, even if sometimes I fail to acknowledge your presence or even find time to give you a good time.

Let me be more specific. When I look at my URIAN book and the garden landscape at home, I am reminded of Kuya Ed’s generosity; when I delighted my parents with a wrist-watch set, I know they were courtesy of Kuya Jun’s “lunch money”; when I inspect my closet and find toiletries and perfume and clothes and CDs of classical music and other entertainment packages, I go teary-eyed and thank God for Kuya Rollie; when I see a creamy rolled-carpet, a CD case, a portable discman, a leather bag and other small what-nots, I am reminded of Kuya Harry’s thoughtfulness; and when I see some of the mind-and-heart-changing books in my library, I know Kuya Rene had me in mind even when he was buying them.

But the list does not stop there. Ate Irma and Ate Mila forward text loads to me every so often. Kuya Hermie from UAE sends bottles of perfume as does Kuya Ruel. Dom, too. Amir, in spite of. And Karlo.

Like the Shunamite woman, you gave kindness out of the wellspring of your heart. Like Elisha, I feel honored. And I am left with a fervent wish that I could somehow reciprocate your kindness.

Hopefully, here and soon.


Happy Birthday!


REFLECTIONS
Joshua 1-3


Joshua’s turn to be awed by God’s promises and wishes:

Joshua 1:5
I will never leave you nor forsake you.

Joshua 1:8
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it.


To a fledgling leader and the multitude of responsibilities that lay before him, what could “Be strong and take courage” mean?

Joshua 2
Rahab – the lying prostitute!!!
And yet, she received favors!
Now, I do not want to make a sport of the fact that prostitutes and liars can be given favors – but this only proves that God is sovereign. He only can decide – and wisely – on a case-to-case basis.

Joshua 3
Another miracle crossing the Jordan.
However scientific incidents like this (e.g. Red Sea, etc.) are explained, my heart maintains that God is completely capable of making miracles and miracles being what they are require no explanation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home